We analyzed the records of 1,169 patients with hemifacial spasm (HFS) who underwent microvascular decompression (MVD) and were followed up for more than 6 months from January 1987. The mean follow-up duration was 23.8 months (6–145 months). Excellent surgical outcome was obtained in 90.5% and good in 4.5%, giving an overall success rate of 95.0%. There was statistically significant relationship between vertebral artery (VA) shift and side of symptom. Permanent facial weakness and hearing impairment were 1.4% and 2.3%, respectively. There were no anatomical differences at the root entry zone (REZ) and significant differences of surgical outcome in young HFS (34 patients). Factors such as type of offender, severity of compression on the facial nerve root, and the degree of decompression of the REZ on postoperative MRI did not correlate with surgical outcome.

This content is only available via PDF.
Copyright / Drug Dosage / Disclaimer
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
You do not currently have access to this content.