Background/Aims: The coexistence of scoliosis and split cord malformation (SCM) is often encountered. The characteristics of the osseous septum of SCM are still unknown to us. Here we try to delineate the configuration and nature of the osseous septa. The correlation between scoliosis and SCM is also discussed. Methods: 48 patients hospitalized for scoliosis were studied. SCM was subsequently identified in all of the patients. These patients underwent operations and were retrospectively evaluated. Results: The figuration, component, location and nature of osseous septa are described. 47 of the 48 SCMs (98%) were type I. Only 1 case was type II. 43 patients (90%) had 1 osseous septum. The other 5 patients (10%) had 2 osseous septa at different levels. 41 septa (78%) were mainly made of cortical bone, another 6 septa (11%) were mainly made of cancellous bone, while the other 6 (11%) were bone together with soft tissues. The prominent central blood vessels were found in 19 cases (36%). 10 osseous septa (19%) were derived from neural arches. 15 osseous septa (28%) were from both vertebral bodies and neural arches. Conclusion: We assumed that SCM might contribute to the progress of scoliosis. It is recommended that removal of the spur be carried out before corrective surgery on the spine.

1.
Ersahin Y, Mutluer S, Kocaman S, Demirtas E: Split spinal cord malformations in children. J Neurosurg 1998;88:57–65.
2.
Pang D, Dias MS, Ahab-Barmada M: Split cord malformation. I. A unified theory of embryogenesis for double spinal cord malformations. Neurosurgery 1992;31:451–480.
3.
Schijman E: Split spinal cord malformations: report of 22 cases and review of the literature. Childs Nerv Syst 2003;19:96–103.
4.
Chandra PS, Mahapatra RK: An unusual case of dorsally situated bony spur in a lumbar split cord malformation. Pediatr Neurosurg 1999;31:44–52.
5.
Sumit S, Deepak A, Ashok-Kumar M: Split cord malformations: an experience of 203 cases. Childs Nerv Syst 2006;22:3–7.
6.
Ersahin Y: An unusual split cord malformation. Pediatr Neurosurg 2000;32:109.
7.
Kamil-Melih A, Yusuf I, Alper B: Dorsal bony septum: a split cord malformation variant. Pediatr Neurosurg 2002;36:225–228.
8.
Katoh M, Hida K, Iwasaki Y, Koyanagi I, Abe H: A split cord malformation. Childs Nerv Syst 1998;14:398–400.
9.
Suh SW, Sarwark JF, Vora A, Huang BK: Evaluating congenital spine deformities for intraspinal anomalies with magnetic resonance imaging. J Pediatr Orthop 2001;21:525–531.
Copyright / Drug Dosage / Disclaimer
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
You do not currently have access to this content.