Objective: The aim of this study was to determine the incidence of squamous cell abnormalities in cervical cytology in Mubarak Al-Kabeer Hospital, Kuwait, and to document any change in the pattern of these lesions. Materials and Methods: Over a 13-year period (1992–2004), 86,434 cervical smears were studied in Mubarak Al-Kabeer Hospital, Kuwait. Conventional Pap smears were first examined by cytotechnicians and finally reported by cytopathologists. The smears were classified according to the modified Bethesda system. The age of presentation of squamous cell abnormalities in Kuwaiti women was analyzed. Results: Smears from 83,052 (96.09%) patients were found satisfactory for reporting while the remaining 3.9% was unsatisfactory. Atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance (ASCUS) were seen in 1,790 (2.2%) cases, atypical glandular cells of undetermined significance (AGUS) in 630 (0.8%) cases, low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion including human papillomavirus changes (LSIL) in 824 (1.0%) cases, high grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (HSIL) in 189 (0.2%) cases, and carcinoma in 79 (0.1%) cases of which 44 (0.05%) were squamous cell carcinoma. A comparison of average cases/annum during the study period revealed a significant increase in ASCUS from 1.13 to 2.83% (p < 0.001) and AGUS from 0.33 to 1.08% (p < 0.001). However, the percentage of LSIL, HSIL and carcinoma detected in Pap smears remained the same. Conclusion: A significant linear trend (p < 0.001) was observed in satisfactory smears, ASCUS and AGUS over the years. However, no significant change was found in the detection of LSIL, HSIL and carcinoma. A reduction in the age of LSIL/HSIL and an increasing trend in the number of Kuwaiti women over the years was also observed which makes screening of young women essential in Kuwait.

Copyright / Drug Dosage / Disclaimer
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
You do not currently have access to this content.