Article PDF first page preview

Article PDF first page preview

Objectives. Endometriosis is a chronic inflammatory disease known to contribute to infertility. Laparoscopic excision of endometriotic lesions represents a standard treatment modality for symptomatic women. Our study aims to assess the potential benefits of laparoscopic excision of endometriosis in patients experiencing infertility associated with the condition, as well as to define the clinical factors that may impact the cumulative pregnancy rate. Design. In this retrospective analysis, a total of 102 patients with endometriosis-related infertility were enrolled. Materials, Setting, Methods. All participants underwent reproductive surgery and were then categorized into two groups: those who conceived were assigned to Group A, while those who did not were assigned to Group B. The correlation between clinical factors and pregnancy rate was assessed using the log rank test, and both univariate and multivariate analyses were conducted utilizing the Cox regression model. Results The median age of the patients was 33.5 years, with a median follow-up duration of 70 months. Throughout the study period, 71 patients (69.6%) conceived (Group A), while the remaining 31 patients (30.4%) did not conceive (Group B), irrespective of the use of Assisted-Reproduction Technologies. The Cox regression model revealed that factors such as the duration of infertility, presence of deep infiltrating endometriosis, bowel endometriosis, rASRM stages, pelvic adhesions, and recurrent disease negatively impacted postoperative conception rates. Conversely, complete excision and coagulation of endometriotic lesions, as well as ablation of ovarian endometriomas, emerged as independent positive predictive factors for postoperative clinical pregnancy. Limitations. The retrospective design of the study, as well as a small number of patients. Conclusions. Complete excision of endometriosis during reproductive surgery may yield a positive effect and optimize the likelihood of pregnancy in patients with endometriosis-related infertility.

This content is only available via PDF.