Background/Aims: Immunoglobulin light-chain (AL) amyloidosis is a systemic disorder that causes progressive organ dysfunction. The optimal treatment strategy requires accurate patient stratification with an emphasis on the extent of cardiac involvement. Reports on its prognosis are sparse and predominantly originate from highly selected centers. We aimed to evaluate patient characteristics and outcomes in a cohort treated at a single center. Methods: This is a single-center retrospective study of 63 consecutive patients diagnosed with AL amyloidosis between January 2000 and December 2012. Patients were evaluated by treatment strategy and cardiac involvement. Results: The mean age at diagnosis was 61.4 years (±8.9), and 39 patients (62%) were male. Thirty-two (51%) patients presented with cardiac amyloid involvement (CA) and the remaining 31 (49%) had noncardiac amyloidosis (NCA). The median follow-up time was 12.7 months (0.3-90.8), and 38 (60%) patients died during follow-up. The median overall survival (OS) was 29 months (95% CI 12.1-57.2) and the OS was not significantly lower for patients with CA compared to NCA (log-rank = 0.21). Conclusion: The prognosis in AL amyloidosis is grave, but the outcome with treatment in the current series was comparable to those in series from larger centers. CA did not significantly predict the OS.

Copyright / Drug Dosage / Disclaimer
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
You do not currently have access to this content.