This study describes the frequency of serum organ-specific and organ-nonspecific autoantibodies in 157 patients with nonimmune chronic idiopathic neutropenia of adults (NI-CINA). Forty-two age- and gender-matched volunteers were used as controls. We found that patients with NI-CINA had increased frequency of antinuclear antibodies (ANA) compared to controls (33.1 vs. 9.5%, p = 0.0025), and that ANA positivity inversely correlated with the number of circulating neutrophils (r = –0.2765, p < 0.0001). Speckled pattern of reactivity was seen in 84.6% of ANA-positive patients, and diffuse pattern in the remaining 15.4%. Patients had also increased levels of circulating immune complexes compared to controls (3.30 ± 2.41 vs. 1.70 ± 1.19 µg/ml, p = 0.0042), which inversely correlated with the number of circulating neutrophils (r = –0.2405, p = 0.0154) but not with the titer of ANA positivity. No significant differences were found between the patients and the normal controls in the frequency of positive tests for antibodies to dsDNA, Sm, nRNP, SSA, SSB and Scl-70 antigens, or for parietal cell antibodies, anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (ANCA), anti-cardiolipin and anti-thyroid antibodies. Serum levels of rheumatoid factor, C-reactive protein (CRP) and complement factors C3 and C4 ranged within normal limits in the patients studied, but a highly significant correlation was noted between the levels of CRP and ANA positivity (r = 0.3936, p < 0.0001). These findings are suggestive of a chronic inflammation in NI-CINA patients which provides the antigenic stimulus for ANA production, and they further support our previously reported suggestion for the possible involvement of such a low-grade chronic inflammatory process in the pathogenesis of neutropenia in the affected subjects.

Copyright / Drug Dosage / Disclaimer
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
You do not currently have access to this content.