Objective: Quid chewing is associated with an increased risk of oral cancer. This study aims to analyze argyrophilic nucleolar organizer region (AgNOR) counts along with Papanicolaou (PAP) staining in exfoliative smears of quid chewers and non-chewers to correlate quid chewing habits with possible early cytological changes in apparently normal buccal mucosa. Study Design: Exfoliative smears were obtained from normal buccal mucosa of 30 male quid chewers and non-chewers. The smears were stained using the AgNOR silver staining technique to evaluate the proliferative activity and PAP for cytological appearance. Results: Statistically higher AgNOR counts were observed in chewers as compared to non-chewers. The difference in the mean percentage of nuclei having ≥5 AgNORs in both groups was statistically significant (p = 0.001). In chewers, PAP showed 77% with class I and the remaining 23% were class II, while the non-chewers showed only class I cytology. AgNOR counts between chewers and non-chewers having class I cytological appearance demonstrated a greater mean AgNOR count in chewers (p = 0.0001). Conclusion: Quid chewing seems to have a definite role in promoting proliferative activity of apparently normal buccal mucosal cells. Exfoliative cytological assessment of a combination of AgNOR counts and PAP has the potential for prediction of early quid-associated cellular changes before the appearance of clinical premalignant and malignant lesions.

Copyright / Drug Dosage / Disclaimer
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
You do not currently have access to this content.