Background: This study was conducted to describe the frequency and significance of squamous cells in fine needle aspiration (FNA) specimens of the pancreas in benign and malignant processes. Methods: A retrospective review was performed of 102 patients with squamous cells in their pancreatic FNA specimens from 1986 to 2012. The malignant cases were classified as adenosquamous carcinoma (ASqC) or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma, and a double institutional review of the ASqC cases was undertaken to characterize the clinical and pathological features and survival statistics of patients who present with unresectable or metastatic ASqC and have no follow-up surgery. Survival analyses were performed. Results: Of the 4,094 pancreas FNA procedures performed in the study, squamous features were found in 102 (2.5%) of all cases, and 48% of these cases represented ASqC. The other cases were contamination (52%) or atypical (<1%). ASqC constituted 4.5% (46/1,025) of all primary pancreatic exocrine malignancies. When compared with conventional adenocarcinoma, ASqC demonstrated a significantly poorer overall median survival (11.0 vs. 6.51 months; p = 0.023), and this difference was also seen in patients presenting with metastatic disease (median survival of 9.1 vs. 4.2 months; p = 0.025). Conclusions: Squamous cells in FNA specimens from the pancreas have a broad differential diagnosis that ranges from contamination to ASqC.

Copyright / Drug Dosage / Disclaimer
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
You do not currently have access to this content.